History of Urbana C.C
The First Nine
Called the “Dye Original,” Urbana Country Club has a unique place in the history of American golf. In the book, Pete Dye Golf Courses – Fifty Years of Visionary Design, the story begins in Urbana. “It is remarkable how life often turns on a whim, a chance encounter, a happenstance. If it was not for a timely automobile breakdown some ninety years ago, there would probably be no such thing as a Pete Dye golf course.” It was in 1922 that Paul F. (“Pink”) Dye’s car broke down in Pennsylvania and, while waiting for repairs, he played nine holes for the first time in his life. He returned to Urbana hooked on the game and, along with several investors, designed and built the first nine holes of the UCC on land owned by his wife. It was on this tract that Pink’s son Pete learned to play the game and tend the course.
During WWII, Pete served as the course superintendent. Always a champion of the golf course and a golfer in her own right, Elizabeth dreamed of the day a second nine holes would be built. She held to her dream and convinced her grandson, P.B. Dye to come finish his grandfather’s work.
The Second Nine
In the fall of 1992 P.B. Dye had begged, borrowed, and stolen enough equipment and people to began construction of the second nine holes of the Dye Original. On August 27, 1993 a dedication ceremony was held at the rock garden, designed by P.B. Dye, in memory of his grandfather, Paul F. Dye and grandmother, Elizabeth Dye. The new nine holes where officially open for play and the golf course that started 70 years earlier was complete.
The Urbana Country Club golf course remained a hidden jewel in west central Ohio until November, 2008 when its native son and former course superintendent , Pete Dye, was inducted into the World Golf Hall of Fame. Reports of the honor traveled throughout the world and the story always begins in Urbana.
Pete Dye Tells Our Story Best
For the Clubs 90th Birthday Pete & Alice Dye gave us a history lesson on what makes the legacy of Urbana C.C. so great. Please enjoy watching.
Urbana Country Club Facts
The original Nine was built on 64 acres of mostly wooded land.
UCC had the first bent Grass greens in the country. Grown by Scott Seed Company. located just 25 minutes away.
Twice the clubhouse has burned down, but both times it was rebuilt. Thanks to T.E. Dye Insurance, which is now know as Dye & Doss Insurance.
The club founders first meeting was held at the Rock Shop in downtown Urbana, today know as Guild Galleries.
The Club was first established in 1922 as a six hole course built by Paul F. Dye (Pink), father to famous golf course architect Pete Dye.
Pete Dye's son P.B. Dye built second nine holes in 1992.
In 1950 Warren Grimes built the old bar & grille onto the front of the clubhouse. Today called the grille room.